Chief Technology Officer (with focus on Database Administration)
2008 – Present Emergency Reporting
- Responsible for the database architecture, including all aspects of a high availability system, including multiple development systems, and the deployment of database changes from a development system to a staging system, then on to the production system.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance and performance tuning of a Microsoft SQL Server in a high availability environment.
- A recent accomplishment involved moving a SQL Server database system 90 miles from one data center to another. This was accomplished with about 8 minutes of downtime, and involved a process of log shipping to move all of the data from one system to the other while the systems were still running.
- Managed a team of 8 developers, testers and report writers.
Instructor – SQL Server Specialist Certificate and SQL Server Developer Certificate Program
2009 – 2010 Western Washington University
- As the instructor of the SQL Server series of classes at the WWU Extended Education Program, I have planned and taught a series of 5 and 10 week classes focusing on different topics of Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and SQL Server 2008.
- The class included basic topics like installing SQL Server and more advanced topics like Reporting Services (SSRS) and High Availability including replication and mirroring.
Freelance Database Consultant
June 2007 – 2009 WhatcomBiz Incorporated – Freelance contractor
- General Database projects: Perl scripts to parse data files and insert into several production databases. Extensive query Performance Tuning.
- SQL Server projects: Integration of Microsoft Dynamics with several vendor databases to reconcile inventory received at stores.
- Tuning and scaling, finding performance bottlenecks and fixing.
- Creation and execution of backup and recovery plans to handle a recovery in the event of a catastrophic event.
VP of Development and Infrastructure
July 2000 – June 2007 Innuity, Inc (dba: Vista.com, Merchant Partners, Credit Discovery, and Innuity Inc)
- Managed personnel and technology on 4 different teams, web site systems (Vista.com), credit card processing (Merchant Partners), underwriting and boarding of merchants (Credit Discovery), and Corporate infrastructure.
- Responsible for the day to day administration and future planning on several database platforms, including Oracle (8i, and 10g), Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and MySQL. These responsibilities included installing, configuring, troubleshooting, performance tuning, managing of and managing of backups on a daily basis.
- Also responsible for the uninterrupted database availability by managing load, space, and performance, measuring growth and projecting for future load to ensure continued optimal performance and smooth server upgrades
- Planned and tested disaster recovery planning. Planned and implemented the resolution of system and software issues related to the company’s database systems
- On call 24×7 for response to systems issues.
Software Engineering Team Manager
1999 – 2000 Amazon.com
- Management of the people and the technology on a 10 person development team.
- Lead the technical design and project management on several projects, which included large amounts of data, and the scaling of those systems to all Amazon.com customers.
- Participated in extensive database design, with specific focus on High Availability (HA) and extreme performance tuning.
- Added several new community features on the Amazon.com website.
Internet Technologist and Development Manager
1995 – 1999 Wall Data
- I was in one of the most leading edge Internet position in the company. I have done the initial research and proof of concept on the projects listed below as well as on several others. In this role, I was responsible for the initial research, experimentation, planning, prototype, and software development and database development (Microsoft SQL Server).
- Responsible for the release of two major new products for the company. Both of the above products needed extreme quality to be delivered into mission critical environments, and my team and I were able to provide that high level of quality.
1995 SofTrade International
- Set the development direction for the company, including the choice of all development technologies. Took a new product from just an idea to a released product in the Japanese market. Worked with artists, designers and translators to create a new product.
- Technology was windows development using Microsoft’s development environment for applications designed to run in Japanese.
Entrepreneur, Founder, and VP of Software Development
1993-1995 SynApps Software
- Company founder and inventor of new software products. Created a suite of 10 applications to add on to the windows operating system to add functionality that was not available in the early versions of Windows.
Software Development Intern
1990 – 1991 Microsoft Corporation
- Participated in multiple internships at Microsoft. Interned as a software developer on the initial version of Windows NT. Interned as a support technician at the time that Windows 3.0 was released.
- Worked with Microsoft SQL Server in a multiple user environment to develop an application that was used by Microsoft Worldwide Support Services at that time.
- Trained on and used SQL Server version 1.0.
- SQL DevConnections 2011 – Week long SQL Server course.
- SQL DevConnections 2009 – A week long course focused solely on Microsoft SQL Server, including High Availability Strategy, Server Virtualization, Database Performance Tuning, SSRS, Database design, SQL Server 2008 features, and new SQL Server 2008 R2 features.
- American Management Association – Improving managerial Skills of the New or Prospective Manager.
- American Management Association – Improving Your Project Management Skills: The Basics for Success.
- The Dale Carnegie Course.
- Wall Data Project Management Classes – Focused on project estimating and scheduling, and product delivery.
- Extreme Programming – Class taught by Kent Beck, author of “Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change”.
In addition to the normal work related topics, I enjoy the following activities:
Snowboarding, wake boarding, backpacking, camping and hiking, boating in the San Juan Islands, mountain biking, rock climbing, scuba diving, and surfing.