This week on the SQL Data Partners Podcast Episode #59 we discussed Mirroring, Availability Groups, Replication and Log Shipping. There were 4 of us on the podcast, two guests Mariano Kovo and Andy Mallon, along with Carlos Chacon and I. Each of us discussed one of the 4 options for having your data in multiple locations which are Mirroring, Availability Groups, Replication, and Log Shipping.
Some of the things we covered were:
- How to use Mirroring to save money for your shop
- The difference between Mirroring and Availability Groups
- Why would I consider using Mirroring
- The unique benefit of Replication
- Why Log Shipping and Disaster Recovery work well together
This episode was a bit longer than our typical interview discussion, but we covered lots of interesting information, and discussed some of the differences between these topics. It was a fun and interesting show.
About Andy Mallon
Andy Mallon is a SQL Server DBA. He’s also the co-organizer of SQL Saturday Boston and co-leader for the New England SQL Server User Group. Follow him on Twitter @AMtwo and LinkedIn. His blog The Impatient DBA covers DBA careers, SQL Server, and T-SQL topics.