In episode 53 of the SQL Data Partners podcast Carlos Chacon and I chat with Argenis Fernandez, storage guru and PASS Director-at-Large. We talk storage options, LUNs, IOPs, and why he thinks we all need to approach storage a lot differently. This was a fun interview, I had a chance to learn quite a bit from Argenis. This might be one of those podcast episodes that I need to listen to twice for all that great information to soak in.
Some of the things we covered with Argenis…
- Why Argenis thinks that drive letters are outdated… and what you should use instead
- The “Argenis definition” of a LUN, IOPS, and more…
- The information Argenis thinks all DBAs should know
- The difference between LUNs, mount points, and data stores
- How to partition your data files and logs in physical storage vs. in virtualized environments
- How IOPS fits into the SQL Server storage environment
- What you should worry about instead of IOPs
I love the reference to spinning storage (traditional hard drives) as spinning rust compared to flash storage.
So check out this podcast and the other episodes from SQL Data Partners.