Lately several people have asked me for the solutions to the corruption challenge, so I thought it would be a good time to recap the last 5 weeks.
- Week 1 of the Database Corruption Challenge was won by Brent Ozar, his solution is posted here. Also there is an alternate solution provided by Andre Kamman.
- Week 2 of the Database Corruption Challenge was won by Rob Farley, his solution is posted. An alternate solution was provided by Bogdan Sahlean.
- Week 3 of the Database Corruption Challenge was won by Randolph West, and his week 3 solution is posted. There was no alternate for week 3, everyone who solved week 3 did it the same way.
- Week 4 of the Database Corruption Challenge was won by Randolph West, his week 4 solution is posted. An alternate solution using CTE’s was posted by Patrick Flynn.
- Week 5 of the Database Corruption Challenge was won by Patrick Flynn, and his week 5 solution is posted. An alternate solutions is also posted that I created.
If you are interested in checking out the most up to date scores, they are available on the score page. You can also take a look at the T-Shirt that is the prize that will be going to at least one of the high scoring participants.
Over the last 5 weeks, I have also had the opportunity to present on Database Corruption at the PASS DBA Virtual Chapter Meeting, attended by 150 people. I have also presented on database corruption at the Bellingham SQL Server Users Group (Pass Chapter).
People often ask me how often I deal with actual real database corruption, in the last 5 weeks I have worked with 1 real world corrupt database. The purpose of the challenge is to practice and be ready to react in the even that you need to work on a corrupt database.
Now on to week 6, which will be starting soon. Stay tuned, if you want to know the exact time the next corruption challenge will be starting, subscribe to my newsletter mailing list.
I hope the next 5 weeks are as enjoyable as the first 5 weeks were, and I hope that everyone has the opportunity to learn as much as was learned in the first 5 weeks. Stay tuned, the second half starts soon.