Microsoft has announced the next version of SQL Server will be SQL Server 2014, and that a pre-release version will be available later this year.
Some of the features announced SQL Server 2014 are:
- new disaster recovery and backup solutions with Windows Azure
- enhanced self service BI tools
- high availability improvements, to the Always On capabilities
- in memory OLTP for 10x to 50x performance improvements
- Improvements to the resource governor
- New cloud migration wizard
This should be interesting. If it goes the way of SQL Server 2012 it should be released in the spring, but that is just a guess.