In the manufacturing world it is referred to the 7 wastes, or the Japanese term Muda. How does this apply to software development.
These all apply to software development in similar ways as they apply to a manufacturing facility.
- Transportation refers to moving things, which in software development may refer to electronically moving things through the process.
- Inventory – The backlog of bugs, feature requests or other work.
- Motion – Moving people, for instance in person meetings or walking to a different office for things that could be done over the phone, over Skype, IM, or other modern technology.
- Waiting – Developers distracted by waiting for information, waiting for a build, waiting for test, etc.
- Over Processing – depends a lot on the environment.
- Over Production – doing more than what is asked for or needed.
- Defects of Muda translates to Bugs in software.
Find out more at Lean6Agile.SteveStedman.com