I am headed to Code Camp in Redmond WA today. I ended up with 3 sessions that I will be presenting, and I am really looking forward to the day.
I am looking forward to attending the Accelerating your Development Workflow presentation by Ian Davis.
Here is what I am presenting…
This is the first time that I will be presenting this one. Its going to be a lot of fun working with the new features in TSQL 2012.
Here is the summary of what I will be covering:
- OVER Clause Enhancements
- ROWS/RANGE PRECEDING, FOLLOWING, UNBOUNDED
- IIF and CHOOSE
- OFFSET / FETCH
- FORMAT, CONCAT
- New Date and Time Functions
- Conversion Functions
- PARSE, TRY_PARSE, TRY_CONVERT
- THROW exception
- Analytic Functions
This will be about the 5th time I have used this presentation. Just some quick polish and it will be ready to go. I recently presented this session at SQL Saturday in Redmond and SQL Saturday in Vancouver BC. One new addition to this session is the performance comparison between the SQL Server 2012 OFFSET/FETCH functionality and the data paging capability of a CTE.
Here is the outline of the presentation:
- What is a Common Table Expression
- Simple CTE
- CTE – Subquery Re-use
- Recursive CTE
- Multiple CTE
- CTE Common Uses
- Data paging on a search result
- Information on the dates in a year
- Creating a replacement for a Numbers table
- Hierarchical Tree
- Simplifying or breaking up a huge query
- CTE for Math Geeks
Probably one of the most valuable database sessions for developers, although until you have experience bad performance with SQL Server it’s a hard sell.
- Is Tuning Necessary for the Developer
- Understanding Tables and Indexes
- Understanding Execution Plans
- Statistics IO and TIME
- Understanding Table Size
- Procedure Cache and Parameterization
- Seven Deadly Sins
- Poor or No Database Design
- Index Design Issues
- RBAR instead of Sets
- Not using explicit column lists
- Calculations in the WHERE Clause
- Dirty Reads
- Believing Moore’s Law Will Save You
- Tips For Writing Queries
Code Camp is today in Redmond WA, I hope to see you there.